Monday, May 14, 2007

Oh yeah....that's poker

So I am playing a little short handed tonight with Felter. Not a game that I am comfortable with, and only because I always seem to take it up the hoop, and so probably never really comfortable with the up and down swings. I don't feel the beats are any worse there, it is just that short handed you are going to be involved more, so they are going to come more often. And I just don't think that I am comfortable with that at the limits I want to play at. (No wonder Felter goes bust...but that is another story for another time).

So yeah. Hand is there is me and a guy who has been trying to bully the table.

One flop I have top pair good kicker, and he bets a little to big so I call.

Turn in a blank, and so he moves all in. I replay the hand over and over, and feel that I am winning. I call.

The river did complete his straight, and so whatever he wins. But oddly I FINALLY felt better about the call, then about losing the hand. I was right. So he got my money this time...good for him. I am going to trust my reads, I did, and I won some nice skalansky dollars there. Even if the real ones were gone.

2 comments:

Big Felter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Felter said...

As you say I was there at the table for that hand. And I do feel you made the right call there but it was a bit of an old school Big Felter call. You know I respect your play, but would you consider that I seem to see a pattern, perhaps only when you are at a table with me where you take on the bully at the table, head on, rather than trap him. Sure you were good, sure the Sklansky dollars were huge, but it was big call and smells.... like a dick measurement....

Phase II felter would rather have folded the best, let him think I am timid and he is the big dog and then double up when the odds are more in my favour.

The short handed play seems to suit me better but I play the same way I played at a full ring, I don't look to dominate more, be agressive more, open my playing hands (they were all already there and the move to the SH table made the move fit)

Make sense? And yes I did loose $200 to four bad beats in two days (three outers or less). So I am just trying to believe that other than playing at limits I should not be at, I do have something to offer... :)